Sunday, July 14, 2013

Escape from Reality


"Cause everybody needs to break free from reality." Kenny Chesney - Reality

Everyone needs an escape. Whether it is from work or school or whatever, there is a time when you just need to get away from it all. But more often than not, you can't always just up and leave your reality. So you need to find something that is easy but effective.

While I was struggling with my depression, I desperately searched for just one escape. I needed to get away from the constant sadness and loneliness that was my everyday life. Finding an escape allowed my to stop wallowing in my own self pity and to stop over-thinking every little aspect of my life. (Note: My darkest days of my depression came last summer while I was not in school and jobless, so I basically did nothing all day)

An escape isn't supposed to be for an extending period of time or something that is harmful to you, but something that makes you happy and forget about your struggles even if only for an hour.

Here are just of a few of the things that helped me:

1. Reading
I am a bookworm. I love to read. I am also a bit of a Potterhead. The first thing that I found that helped me escape was rereading the Harry Potter series, not watching, reading. It allowed to immerse myself in another world and let my imagination run wild, seven big books made that really easy. There are a few other books that I can do this with too (Pride and Prejudice and A Song of Ice and Fire). My engaging my imagination I could leave my troubles and enter a place I where I was happy and free.

2. Exercise
It may not always be fun while you do it but Elle Woods said it best, "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy." And it is true. Some of the best feelings I've had have been after a tough workout. It may have hurt and I may be sore in the morning but damn I feel good and I know it will help me look good! Focusing your energy on your workout can help you bring yourself out of your bad state because exercise is not only healthy for your body but for your mind as well so it is a win-win. It does not matter what kind of exercise it is. It can be running, walking, Zumba, Yoga, BodyStep (a personal favorite), just be active!

3. Meditation
I tried it; I'm not very good at it. My therapist recommended I try it so I did. And I will still do it occasionally but only for a few minutes since that is all I can actually do it for. Deep breathing and focusing on nothing but my breathing is actually very relaxing. And as someone who has anxiety and as someone who used to suffer from panic attacks, this is definitely something I would recommend at least trying.

There is an endless list of things that could go here: music (listening or playing) or cooking/baking or whatever floats your boat. The key is to find something that you enjoy an that makes you really happy. And then to just do it and let your mind stray away from your troubles. If you catch your mind coming back to those troubles, take a minute to refocus on what you are doing. You deserve to be happy, to enjoy yourself, and to escape from your troubles for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment