Sunday, April 20, 2014

Moby Dick – easy Grandma!

Hey there!

So I was going through some of my journal entries and my pictures when I realized there were some experiences that I hadn't written about yet that I knew I had wanted to share so I figured, why not! Better late than never.



I may not be musically inclined in the slightest, my sister got those genes, but I absolutely LOVE the theatre. The first time I went to see a Broadway show, I saw Wicked and it was truly magical. And nothing, NOTHING,  tops seeing Phantom of the Opera on Broadway with THE Hugh Panaro as Phantom. His voice gives me chills just thinking about it. I may or may not have ripped a version of him singing "The Music of the Night"so I could have it on my iPhone.... When you hear his voice you'll understand.



Aaaaaanyway, back to the present. A few weeks ago, a friend and I went and saw Matilda: the Musical at Cambridge Theatre. Side note, we were supposed to go a week earlier but I'm a ninny and booked tickets for the show a week later. We went all the way to the theatre only to realize this fact. Oopsie.



The show itself was phenomenal. I had heard good things but was curious how a show with such a young lead and so many young supporting characters would turn out. Those kids blew me away. The young girl who played Matilda has a bright future if she sticks with it as she was so poised and really handled her own with the adults in the show. One thing that really stood out to me was during the number "Revolting Children" there were technical difficulties that ultimately led to the show being stopped for a few minutes. The kids didn't really notice and kept going like nothing happened. When they returned they picked up seamlessly. Why can't I be as professional as these kids? They're starring in a West End show while I sit in my bed watching Netflix and eating an entire box of Maltesers...

The show itself is really well put together. I actually really enjoyed how they changed it up from the book and film into a stage production that stayed true to the true meaning of the original. It's not at all what I expected but I loved it nonetheless. I won't spoil it for those who have yet to see it but would like to. Just know you're in for a great show filled with great music, and one-liners. (Hence this post's title ;) )



Another of my favorite things to do would be going to museums. With most of my friends away on their adventures but with there being a plethora of museums to see in London, I took the opportunity to take a solo trip out to see a few of them. I started with the Victoria and Albert Museum.

I think I just may prefer going to museums and doing some things alone from now on. No set agenda to follow and no worry about having to rush because a companion may be bored/ have their own ideas about what they want to see. Just me and the museum with the ability to see what I want for as long as I want. It was refreshing.

For those who don't know, like me when I went it, the V&A is a museum of art and design named after Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. And it's amazing. I could spend days just looking at all of the collections. From Fashion to architecture to theatre to metalwork, there's just something about traveling through time and seeing the progression of these things in Europe and Asia that's amazing.



The fashion section is small but completely amazing for those interested in fashion like I am. I totally fell in love with this late 1960s dress from Emilio Pucci. And don't get me started on the jewelry area. No cameras allowed but holy sh*t! Nothing short of gorgeous. So many diamonds and pearls. If anybody wants to know of a gift idea, I'll take the Cartier tiara pictured below.

(Source)

I also headed over to the Science Museum as it was closest. I didn't spend nearly the time there I did at the V&A museum (So. Many. Little. Kids.) but I did enjoy it. I'd like to go back at a more *calm* time (read: fewer little children running around) to truly explore it.

There is an exhibit called Who Am I? that I found fascinating and modern. It's an interactive exhibit focusing not only on the genetics part of who you are, but also identity and the brain. For a psychology nerd like me, I was completely drawn in. I'd say the museum is worth a visit if you're interested in this sort of thing and can handle a bunch of kids on field trips running around.



I think it's safe to say I will be doing a bit more solo exploring, at least in museums, from here on out. Now I just need to decide my next day out in London!


How do you feel about doing things solo? Do you like to travel solo or just the occasional day out?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment