Thursday, October 31, 2013

October Favorites

I know, I know, yet another person hopping on the monthly favorites bandwagon and I'm not even what you would consider a traditional "beauty blogger", which I think is sort of reflected in this list anyway. But I love reading these kinds of posts, as well as hauls, because I'm nosey and like to see what products others are trying that might peek my interest. If I love these kinds of posts (and YouTube videos…), I know there must be others that do too! So without further ado, my October favorites:





This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel J. Levitin: This was recommended to me last summer by my therapist and I've only just gotten around to reading it. I wish I had gotten around to it earlier, especially after all of the struggles I've had. In sum, it's a book that takes the basic components of music such as timbre or pitch and explains their ties to cognitive psychology, neurochemistry, and evolution. But it is written in a way that anyone can understand even without any type of background on music or psychology. I don't want to get into much more detail but it really is a fascinating read if you have any interesting in music or psychology or simply are looking for a new book to read. Music was something that has always helped me through tough times, especially the darkest days of my depression, and reading about some of the reasons why it helped me was really eye-opening.

Benefit's the POREfessional: I don't really have any 100% staples in my makeup routine but this one will probably be the first. It definitely minimizes my pores and as am added bonus it mattifys my skin and evens out my skin tone pretty well. And when combined with my normal primer, my makeup stays put all day. I don't like heavy products on my face and this one is light-weight and oil-free so it is a perfect primer for everyday use.


Benefit's Gimmie Brow: I've never used products on my brows before until this one and it's pretty darn good. It's a new, all-in-one gel +brush that you just swipe and it distributes the product evenly and makes the brows look uniform. I never knew I needed a brow product until I used this and became addicted. I have relatively prominent brows so it makes me feel better leaving the house knowing that they look groomed and not like I haven't ever had them waxed.

Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation: I recently decided to get back into liquid foundations after only using powders. I have dry skin and powder foundations tend to emphasize that fact, especially in winter. I don't want my stupid old flaky chin to come back and make it look like I have dandruff. Rimmel is one of my favorite drugstore brands so naturally that's where I turned and I was not disappointed  It's medium coverage and has a slightly dewey finish, but it's not too dewey. Being someone who has struggled with her confidence because of her acne, this does not break me out and when paired with my concealer, makes my skin look pretty damn good if I do say so myself and is a definite confidence booster. It also has an interesting scent, not bad, but I can't place it. I like it though.



Maybelline Color Whisper: A Plum Prospect: With my purple hair, I'm not really fond of how it looks with a red lipstick; it's too much for me personally. So I've been experimenting with more purplish toned colors and this one has been a hit. The application is smooth, has wonderful color payoff, and is pretty long-lasting. I love my lip products and always feel confident when I love the color of the product and know that it won't be wearing off or smudging on me throughout the day.

Maybelline Color Tattoo: Pomegranate Punk: This is currently in my everyday makeup routine. It's a creamy eyeshadow base that is easy to apply and looks wonderful on its own. I like to blend it with my MAC Bare Minimum eyeshadow for a slightly smoky eye look. The deep pomegranate color is also perfect for fall. For people who don't wear eyeshadow often and are looking to start, this particular product is a strong place to start as its easy to use and comes in a variety of great colors.

MoroccanOil Intense Curl Creme: Absolutely amazing. I just love this product. It helps tame my crazy frizz, enhances my curls, and hydrates my weak/ damaged hair. And like any MoroccanOil/ argan oil kind of product it smells incredible. I use it after I wash my hair as a leave-in conditioner and a little goes a long way so even though it's pretty expensive, (seems like) it's going to last a while. And I am one anyway who will splurge on hair care, so it's likely I will repurchase it.

Batiste Dry Shampoo: Floral & Flirty Blush: Dry shampoo is a hair essential and Batiste is the best brand I've tried. Not only does it remove the oil and make the hair look fresh, it can be volumizing as well. My curls have always made me self-conscious when they're not exactly uniform because they're a day old or they look greasy and this product does the trick in boosting my confidence. I'm also one who likes her hair products to smell good, if you couldn't already tell, and I love this scent. This one is floral scented and I'm excited to try the other scents!

Monkey Slippers: Cold weather is coming and my toes need warming. I got these from Target last year and while there are holes from constant wear on the soles, I can't bear to part with them. They're just too cute! If I'm not wearing my Minnie Mouse onesie at this time of year, I definitely have these on my feet! And cute slippers are always better than lame, bland slippers anyway. 

And that is it for this month! Let me know of any products you really liked this past month!

Talk to y'all soon!

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment